Orangutan Adventure Tours to Borneo and Sumatra
The Orangutan Project offers a range of wondrous tour options to suit all tastes and budgets. To enquire about one of our tours please contact us.
"Want an enjoyable holiday, but want it be something more? Why not, see what is really going on, connect with the most intelligent fellow beings on the planet, meet the people working at the coal face and become part of the solution – Leif Cocks 2013 Eco Tours "
Earth 4 Orangutans Fundraising Adventure!
Join world leading Orangutan expert and conservationist Dr Ian Singleton in Sumatra and witness his work first-hand on this completely unique, 7-day action-packed adventure with Raw Wildlife Encounters!
The Earth 4 Orangutans project was co-founded by Dr Ian Singleton and Raw Wildlife Encounters' Jessica McKelson, it is supported by leading orangutan organisations the Orangutan Land Trust and us, The Orangutan Project. The project will see the development of much needed habitat in Sumatra for ill or disabled orangutans currently kept in quarantine cages at the Sumatran Orangutan Conservation Program Centre and unable to be released back into the wild.
In 2013 Raw Wildlife Encounters aims to raise AU$80,000 for the Earth 4 Orangutans project. All profits from these tours go directly to support the project development.
On this tour, you will enjoy:
- Visiting the orangutans at the SOCP care centre
- Spending time with Dr Ian Singleton
- Helping to bathe and hand-feed elephants
- Delicious tradition Karonese banquets
- Observing a multitude of other wildlife including gibbons, monkeys, reptiles and birds
- Trekking on elephant back through jungles
- River tubing from village to village
- Sleeping in comfortable eco lodges
Raw Wildlife Encounters tours are lead by qualified, professional wildlife experts some of the best in their fields to ensure you receive an exceptional quality, fun and educational travel experience by the best!
AU$2500 per person. Departing monthly.
Orangutan Odysseys and TOP Fundraising Tours
TOP is excited to present our series of fundraising tours to Borneo and Sumatra with tour group Orangutan Odysseys.
You can be part of a tour to one of these locations.
- Tanjung Putting National Part & OCCQ – Borneo Indonesia
- Palangkaraya, Sabangau Forest & Nyaru Menteng – Borneo Indonesia
- Gunung Leuser National Park & Batu Mbelin – Sumatra Indonesia
- Matang Wildlife Centre & Batang Ai National Park - Sarawak, Malaysia
- Bukit Tigapuluh in Central Sumatra, Indonesia
Tour 1- Ultimate Tanjung Puting and Fundraising Expedition (9 Days) AUD $3,100 pp
- Sleep aboard and travel through the jungle on our river klotok (boat)
- Visit an orangutan rehabilitation centre (Tanjung Puting Orangutan Fundraiser only)
- Travel up jungle rivers to witness proboscis, ebony and grey macaque monkeys
- Help save the orangutans from extinction
- Optional trip extension to Krakatoa Volcano and Ujung Kulon National Park
Our destination is the jungle of Borneo to see the orangutan in its natural environment. We may happen across Tom the dominant male or the world famous intelligent Princess down on the pier. We will see both reintroduced and wild orangutans as well as a host of other awesome rain forest creatures. The Tanjung Puting National Park is home to rare and interesting species including the proboscis monkey and the false gavial, a strange looking crocodile. But it is the orangutan that most people come here to visit. It's sheer beauty and passive demeanor endears one of our closest relatives to our hearts. We will see both wild and rehabilitated orangutan's and have the opportunity to get close to these magnificent creatures.
After visiting this wonderful animal's natural environment, we will head back to civilization and visit the orphanage and care centre near Kumai. This, for many, is a highlight as you will come into close proximity with many young orangutans and garner a deeper understanding of their plight. If this visit doesn't move you nothing will! While we will have the opportunity to see these amazing creatures we will also be helping their plight. Through this expedition we will be delivering much needed supplies to the orangutan orphanages, each participant will be adopting one and we will be protecting land that ensures the habitat of them remains intact. Further, a direct donation to the care centre in Pangkalan Bun will be presented to them from funds raised by this trip.
After Borneo, we head back to Bali. For those that want an adventure on the way back, we will be offering an action packed extension to Krakatoa and Java. If you are interested in adventure and giving back to the world at the same time, then you have got to be part of this expedition.
Tour 2 - Gunung Leuser Orangutan Fundraiser (9 Days) AUD $3,100
- Visit pristine rainforest in search of the amazing Orangutan.
- Visit the Quarantine Station at Batu Mbelin to see what happens to confiscated Orangutans.
- Visit the Halaban Reforestation Program and understand how deforestation is effecting the area and how reforestation is possible.
- Bathe Elephants and do an Elephant trek.
- Trek through beautiful primary forest to see, Pig Tail and Long Tail Macaque, Monitor Lizards, Gibbons, wild peacocks and more.
- Part of your expedition cost is directly donated to save these wonderful creatures.
We will travel to the Reforestation Center at Halaban north of Medan to Tangkahan for an elephant ride and then trek through the Gunung Leuser National Park for 3 days to see the Orangutan in the wild. The park’s one million hectares houses the largest population of Sumatran Orangutans, approximately 80% of the entire wild population of 7000. Gunung Leuser is also home to an enormous population of other wildlife including the Thomas Leaf Monkey, Pigtail Macaque, Longtail Macaque, Gibbons, Lizards, Turtles, Hornbills and more. We will whitewater raft and finally visit the Quarantine Station at Batu Mbelin to see how young Orangutans are reintroduced back into the wild.
While we will have the opportunity to see these amazing creatures, we will also be helping their plight. Through this expedition we will be adopting as many Orangutans as possible and we will be protecting land that ensures the habitat of the Orangutan remains intact. Further, a direct donation to the Quarantine Centre at Batu Mbelin will be presented to them from funds raised by this trip.
After Sumatra, we head back to Bali. For those that want an adventure on the way back, we will be offering an action packed extension to another part of Indonesia.
Your home on this trip will be a mix of both basic guest houses, hotels and tents. You will be escorted from one destination to the next by an experienced OO local guide. If you are interested in adventure and giving back to the world at the same time, then you have got to be part of this expedition.Click here for full trip details on the Orangutan Odyssey website
Tour 3 - Ultimate Palangkaraya and Sabangau Fundraising (11 Days) $4,100pp
- Travel along the beautiful Rungan River aboard the luxurious Rahai'i' Pangun.
- Observe amazing wildlife including Orangutan, Proboscis Monkeys, Hornbills, Red Langurs and Brahmini Kites, Honrbills and more.
- Visit the Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre at Nyaru Menteng where we will learn and understand the work they are doing.
- Travel by 4 wheel drive & stay at a traditional Dayak villages where you will learn about their way of life, history and intriguing culture. Along with visiting painted bonehouses and sleeping in a long house.
- Be escorted around the OUTROP / CIMTROP research centre at the awesome Sabangau Forest and get an insight into Orangutan, Gibbon and other animal research by resident experts. Trek through the forest swamps and track wild orangutans with the research teams. OO is the first and only tour company allowed access to this amazing location.
- This trip is an action packed adventure
OVERVIEWThere really is nothing like giving back. In this specially crafted expedition you will visit the habitat of the great orangutan and at the same time help protect the environment for generations to come.
We have cleverly combined both a relaxing wildlife "observation" trip with an expedition into the heart of Borneo that also incorporates visiting research centres for orangutans, gibbons and or species. We will float up the Rungan River in luxury and sleep in a traditional Dayak Longhouse in Malahoi.
This Fundraising Expedition will not only provide funds for CIMTROP and OUTROP, but we will have access to their researchers, who will impart their immense knowledge of the environment, threats to the ecosystem and what we can do to help. Our 11 day Palangkaraya & Sabangua Forest expedition will take you to the largest town Central Kalimantan.
This expedition provides you the opportunity of traveling up rivers, visiting the famous orangutan care centre and quarantine station to gain an education centres at Nyaru Menteng. You will visit and stay overnight & see the excellent work being done at the Sabangau Forest research facility. There you will be given talks by the resident experts. his expedition will give you an excellent insight into all facets of life in Palangkaraya and gain a deeper understanding of the plight of the orangutan due to deforestation. We believe this 11 day adventure provides it all, a trip that you are certain never to forget.
RAW Wildlife Encounters - 5 Day Orangutan and Elephant Escapade
A private and exclusive tour that includes a day visit to the Sumatran Orangutan Conservation Project (SOCP) you will witness the conservation efforts this team does to protect and rehabilitate these Critically Endangered Orangutans back to the wild. After a personal insight into the amazing work, you will have the opportunity to dine with Dr. Ian Singleton and hear how he has been involved with orangutan conservation and the front line efforts his organisation must take to protect one of our closest primate cousins.
A truly wonderful highlight that will not be forgotten and will only leave you wanting more!
TOP Borneo Wilderness 6-Day Tour
(in assoc with Garuda Orient Holidays)
Imagine visiting exotic Kalimantan, seeing wild orangutans close up and personal. Meeting orangutan infants at the Care Centre not open to the public. Chatting with the volunteers and experts that have devoted their lives to the care and rehabilitation of Orangutans.
Only a few dozen lucky people have the chance to visit these magnificent primates each season.
This is an intimate experience with a local guide with many years experience in this area to ensure your comfort and guarantee a unique learning experience
08-Dec-2011 Borneo Wilderness Tour Itinerary 2012 (133 KB)